• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Doctors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePharmacist25

Bluelighter
I work at a hospital and a retail pharmacy for two of my three jobs. At the retail store I obviously handle a lot of prescriptions and noticed a lot of the same doctors that prescribe CII and CIII substances constantly to people that are seemingly fine when they drop their script off. I have only recently (a month back) started going to the doctor(s) for something other than phsyicals for sports and checkups when I was younger; I have always been healthy.

From the two that I have seen, an PA and an ortho (I know the PA isn't a real doctor), I haven't gotten much sympathy in the pain department, which I truely am in.

My question to you all is: Do you think it would be worth going to see a DO for another opinion, or one of these doctors that 'seem' to take care of their patients. Along with a lot of physical therapy, my pain is still their and hasn't gotten better. Where my bursitis and rotator cuff tear reside do, however, feel stronger, which I guess that is the point of the PT. The pain hasn't gone anywhere. Any ideas/suggestions/advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in pain it is their duty to treat this pain, whether it be meds or some other form.

I understand that, the iontophoresis works for a couple days, and the tamper methyprednisilone the ortho gave me, along with the vicodins helped a lot, but I ran out of vicodins, not because I abused them but 1 5/500 every twelve hours didn't do anything really for me, I need like 10-15mg to take the pain, mostly, from me. So I slowed down and took Ibuprofen in the morning (when the pain was at its least) and took the 2-2.5 vicodins at night, when I felt it the most.

ThePharmacist25 said:
I work at a hospital and a retail pharmacy for two of my three jobs. At the retail store I obviously handle a lot of prescriptions and noticed a lot of the same doctors that prescribe CII and CIII substances constantly to people that are seemingly fine when they drop their script off.
I'm a CPhT with a little hospital experience but mostly retail. I notice the same thing, but I can tell you why. For example, I have really bad pain from an ilioinguinal herniorrhaphy, and I take hydromorphone 4mg for it when it's bad, and hydrocodone/APAP 10mg/325mg when it's not so bad. Sometimes the pain is not much more than a bad ache.

But when I walk into the Rite Aid to get my scrip filled, there's not much more embarrassing than hunching over, holding on to the counter, and tearing up waiting for the scrip to be filled. It makes a scene, and a lot of people don't like to be the center of attention, especially when there's something obviously wrong with them. So, I, personally, just try to hold it together until I get home, then that's when I seem fucked up (in extreme pain, not on drugs).

Why don't you just call a pain management doctor?

I don't know if this thread will give you whatever it is you are aiming for; you should just call a doctor/your insurance company/etc. Asking the OD junkies isn't going to do help much.

Thew few DO's I've seen in my dealings with my pain have always been symptothetic and were laid back when it came to scripts.

The pain doc i see now is the most wonderful compasionate doctor I've ever had. I am so blessed and so lucky to have found him. What i love about him is with each patient he sits there and talks to us patients for 20 minutes-- never shorter than 20 minutes and sometimes he goes over the 20 minutes. He asks about life in general and for some reason him and i always find an interesting topic to discuss, like something on the news and we just talk and tak as he writes my scripts. He is just a lovely man. His boss, who is also an addiction specilist along with being a pain doctor is not as nice and he's a little intimidating. I only have to see him once in a blue moon thank god.'

I always find older male doctors to be the best. Woman doctors i have always had a bad vibe from. I think in some or most cases, seeing a doctor of the opposite sex is beneficial. Of course i could be wrong, this is just my experiences.

I added all that above because i wasn't 100% clear on your question.

Rpg

I dont really know how to answer this thread.If your in pain, and its legit, it shouldnt matter if the doc has got a DO or an MD or is a PA(which btw is a doctor) ask your PCP to refer you to a pain management doctor.Wouldnt that solve your problem?...

I still dont really understand the ? of this thread...oh well i just took my meds, showered and am starting to chillax...

I meant the PA isn't a MD. The primary always takes so long for me to see her when I try to book appointments, so I just take the PA. She gave me flexeril (20, 10mgs) and 600mg IBU, next time she offered 800mg IBU and specifically said she doesn't like scripting controlled substances. I guess ill just, like you suggested, request a pain management clinic. The physical therapy isn't working on the pain, no offense Geist, and I see the ortho on the 6th. Last time it was methylprednisilone and vicodin. We'll see this time.

I really want to play some semi-pro football again and the alum at my University can participate in the javelin, which also I want to do again, and whenever I throw, I can only throw once, maybe twice if the first one doesn't contain a lot of velocity. It's excruciating, my shoulder down to my hand gets numb after and it's a burning sensation and my elbow hurts as well.

^im starting to see where your coming from now. Yes try and get into a PM clinic.Also I would continue with the PT as it will help make your muscles/arm stronger or help it try and get back to semi useful. But you also need to take other corrective actions, opiates are onl going to mask the pain for awile, its not going to take it away and your back to playing sports again,although that would be the perfect solution.

I like dentists and oral surgeons they tend to give out stronger narcotics than needed (OC20s and Perc 10s instead of 5mg Vikes or T3s). Pain clinic docs are generally good but some shouldn't be working in pain clinics when they treat you like a drug addict when you have legitimate pain. I don't like most addiction therapists cause they love to put you on antidepressants when you complain about light anxiety when a 1mg xanax or klonopin (when needed) script would be much more suitable than getting on a month/year-long anti-depressant regimen. I also dislike asshole GPs that act straight out of the books and are basically robots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I unapproved and edited a bunch of posts. If you want to bicker amongst yourselves do it somewhere else.

johanneschimpo said:
Why don't you just call a pain management doctor?

I don't know if this thread will give you whatever it is you are aiming for; you should just call a doctor/your insurance company/etc. Asking the OD junkies isn't going to do help much.

does that really work man?

RoxiPoppyGirl said:
Thew few DO's I've seen in my dealings with my pain have always been symptothetic and were laid back when it came to scripts.

The pain doc i see now is the most wonderful compasionate doctor I've ever had. I am so blessed and so lucky to have found him. What i love about him is with each patient he sits there and talks to us patients for 20 minutes-- never shorter than 20 minutes and sometimes he goes over the 20 minutes. He asks about life in general and for some reason him and i always find an interesting topic to discuss, like something on the news and we just talk and tak as he writes my scripts. He is just a lovely man. His boss, who is also an addiction specilist along with being a pain doctor is not as nice and he's a little intimidating. I only have to see him once in a blue moon thank god.'

I always find older male doctors to be the best. Woman doctors i have always had a bad vibe from. I think in some or most cases, seeing a doctor of the opposite sex is beneficial. Of course i could be wrong, this is just my experiences.

I added all that above because i wasn't 100% clear on your question.

Rpg

from my experience at the ER , females doctors suck! they rarely give me anything!

It took me 8 years , yes 8 years to get a doctor who would give me anything stronger than tylenol 3 except for severe jams/dislocations of my knee from a ski accident that has ruined both my joints and my back ..

ive been in and out phisio since i was 13 and only started to get constant narcotics when my chiropractor let my doctor know that theres no fixing my back thats spun more than a corkscrew..

being on narcotics isnt all its cracked up to be and if your young its going to be that much harder for you to get them because they know what most people our age like to do with them , regardless if your in pain or not .. not to mention waking up every morning feeling every injury you have ever had until you take your dose isnt great either .

and if you looked at me you wouldnt even guess how fucked up my body is and judging someones pain level based on there physical appearance is insulting to say the least just because your pissed you cant get your GP to scribe you stuff.

No medicine is going to take all your pain away. And its possible, as LightTrailz said, that starting with narcotic painkillers now will just lead to addiction. That being said, it seems like you are mainly interested in getting more Vicodin... so just keep looking for a doctor til you find one. Ain't much more anyone can tell you.

^ going to pain management is a big ass commitment. And the goal is never to take ALL your pain away, because if you need pain management, its to make it MANAGEABLE, not to wipe it out completely...

also, when the OP says DO what do you mean? is that a type of doctor I don't realize? or are you referring to a Doctor of Osteopahy or whatever instead of an Medical Doctor (DO/MD?)

yes, i agree totally with DJSIM, if you start on narcs now, chances are you wont quit. My pops is a pain management doctor (treats thousands of people a year), and says he rarely has someone that he puts on narcotics ever quit. He says that the IR vicodins/norcos/percocets lead to addiction MORE than the ER oxycontin, opana, fentanyl because of 'Peaks and Valleys' in the amount of narcotic your body gets...

i myself have never had to go to a clinic, cuz my dad has hooked me up with after hours appointments with friends or whatever that have always helped me and allowed me to stay away from a clinic...

I'm going to move this to Healthy Living. Please post all non-drug specific healthcare questions there in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.